- attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty: a cute child; a cute little apartment.
- appealing and delightful; charming: What a cute toy!
- affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever; precious: The child has acquired some intolerably cute mannerisms.
- mentally keen; clever; shrewd.
- the cutes, Informal. self-consciously cute mannerisms or appeal; affected coyness: The young actress has a bad case of the cutes.
- meet cute, Informal.
- (of a romantic couple) to meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: In this type of movie the boy and girl always meet cute.
- Also meet-cute.a situation or occasion when potential romantic partners meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: a classic Hollywood meet cute; his meet-cute with Jane in the bookstore.
Origin of cute
Examples from the Web for cute
Wiseman as Samuel is alternately Devil-child and a cute young kid.Grief: The Real Monster in The Babadook
December 19, 2014
We coo over how cute our cat is and minimize the drudgery of cleaning the litter box.Why Didn’t Camille Dump Bill Cosby?
December 17, 2014
Legs McNeil, of Punk magazine fame, once called him “cute” and “charming.”‘All Good Cretins Go to Heaven’: Dee Dee Ramone’s Twisted Punk Paintings
December 15, 2014
Of those, 1,980 used the term “cute”, while just 12 mentioned the word “ugly”.The Adorable New Prince George Photos
December 15, 2014
But the task is a little more fun when you can send your gratitude on cute note cards inspired by traditional Islamic designs.The Daily Beast’s 2014 Holiday Gift Guide: For the Angelina Jolie in Your Life
November 29, 2014
"It's a kind of cute and old-fashioned house inside," he observed.Shavings
Joseph C. Lincoln
Paddy is mighty 'cute, and knows when he has a man to deal with.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
I want to have from yourself what like the people are,—are they as hard-working, are they as 'cute as our own?Davenport Dunn, Volume 1 (of 2)
Charles James Lever
She was a small, cute girl with a rainbow of laughter wreathed about her.Rescue Squad
Thomas J. O'Hara
The child was cute enough to have found that out for herself.All Roads Lead to Calvary
Jerome K. Jerome
- appealing or attractive, esp in a pretty way
- mainly US informal sexually attractive
- informal affecting cleverness or prettiness
- clever; shrewd
Word Origin and History for cute
1731, "clever," shortening of acute; informal sense of "pretty" is 1834, American English student slang. Related: Cuteness.