- attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty: a cute child; a cute little apartment.
- appealing and delightful; charming: What a cute toy!
- affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever; precious: The child has acquired some intolerably cute mannerisms.
- mentally keen; clever; shrewd.
- the cutes, Informal. self-consciously cute mannerisms or appeal; affected coyness: The young actress has a bad case of the cutes.
- meet cute, Informal.
- (of a romantic couple) to meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: In this type of movie the boy and girl always meet cute.
- Also meet-cute.a situation or occasion when potential romantic partners meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: a classic Hollywood meet cute; his meet-cute with Jane in the bookstore.
Origin of cute
Examples from the Web for cuteness
“They are very friendly and curious,” The Evening Independent wrote in 1979 in an item emphasizing their popularity and cuteness.Lovable ‘Madagascar’ Penguins Are Known to Rape and Torture in Real Life
November 26, 2014
But what is the end game here, and what are the unintended consequences of imbuing a robotic device with cuteness?Does a Robot Need to Be Cute?
June 22, 2014
What Shinobi delivers on cuteness, it brings ten-fold in delicious ramen.Underground Ramen’s Mainstream Moment
May 12, 2014
Alas, although Smith has so much rich material to work with, the novel suffers from an overdose of cuteness.‘NW’ by Zadie Smith: Review
September 2, 2012
Can't you see yet the wonderful 'cuteness of this man, Endicott?The Art of Disappearing
John Talbot Smith
Forgetting his 'cuteness, Walker settled the point off-hand.The House 'Round the Corner
"Sure the Dublin jackeens have never been beaten yet for cuteness," they cried.The Irish on the Somme
I hate the word, but she develops "cuteness" rather than anything else.Over Here
A reputation for "cuteness" and sharp dealing is fatal in great affairs.Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
- appealing or attractive, esp in a pretty way
- mainly US informal sexually attractive
- informal affecting cleverness or prettiness
- clever; shrewd
Word Origin and History for cuteness
1731, "clever," shortening of acute; informal sense of "pretty" is 1834, American English student slang. Related: Cuteness.