- attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty: a cute child; a cute little apartment.
- appealing and delightful; charming: What a cute toy!
- affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever; precious: The child has acquired some intolerably cute mannerisms.
- mentally keen; clever; shrewd.
- the cutes, Informal. self-consciously cute mannerisms or appeal; affected coyness: The young actress has a bad case of the cutes.
- meet cute, Informal.
- (of a romantic couple) to meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: In this type of movie the boy and girl always meet cute.
- Also meet-cute.a situation or occasion when potential romantic partners meet for the first time in a charming or amusing way: a classic Hollywood meet cute; his meet-cute with Jane in the bookstore.
Origin of cute
First recorded in 1615–25; aphetic variant of acute
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cuter
He wanted it to be cuter because it was Christmastime, and he wanted it to be sweet.Michel Gondry on ‘Mood Indigo,’ Kanye West, and the 10th Anniversary of ‘Eternal Sunshine’
July 20, 2014
He is cunning enough, but I'm cuter nor he—I have him in my power, so I have!Tales And Novels, Volume 8 (of 10)
Did you ever see a cuter little girl than this one in the picture?The Children's Book of Celebrated Pictures
Lorinda Munson Bryant
"The Crummies announcer is cuter," Barby explained patiently.The Electronic Mind Reader
She must be awfully cute to have noticed it too—cuter than his sisters.Openings in the Old Trail
Honest, Polly, I never saw a garden any prettier and cuter than this is.The Turner Twins
Ralph Henry Barbour
- appealing or attractive, esp in a pretty way
- mainly US informal sexually attractive
- informal affecting cleverness or prettiness
- clever; shrewd
C18 (in the sense: clever): shortened from acute
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cuter
1731, "clever," shortening of acute; informal sense of "pretty" is 1834, American English student slang. Related: Cuteness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper