- to make intense or more intense.
- to make more acute; strengthen or sharpen.
- Photography. to increase the density and contrast of (a negative) chemically.
- to become intense or more intense.
Origin of intensify
SynonymsSee more synonyms for intensify on Thesaurus.com
1, 2. deepen, quicken, concentrate.
1, 2. See aggravate.
1. alleviate, weaken.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make or become intense or more intense
- (tr) to increase the density of (a photographic film or plate)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for de-intensify
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper