- firmly decided or determined; resolved: His family was dead set against the marriage.
- a serious or determined attempt; firm effort: He made a dead set at winning the championship.
- Hunting. the stiff posture assumed by a hunting dog in indicating the presence and location of game.
Origin of dead set
Related Words for dead setuncompromising, stringent, austere, harsh, solid, hard-line, definite, unyielding, inflexible, intransigent, stern, rigorous, adamant, fixed, exact, tough, scrupulous, exacting, severe, rigid
Examples from the Web for dead set
Historical Examples of dead set
In four they are held back when dead-set on a very wrong course.Quiet Talks on Power
All a part of the game, dear old pal, the dead-set at the noble and rich.
Of course if she was "dead-set" against John Crumb, that was one thing!The Way We Live Now
Billy was dead-set against the trial of eternally groping for the meaning of foreign phrases.Our Young Aeroplane Scouts in Germany
As they saw by this that there was a dead-set made against them, they then decided to form a volunteer military company.Some Reminiscences of old Victoria
- absolutelyhe is dead set against going to Spain
- the motionless position of a dog when pointing with its muzzle towards game
- (of a hunting dog) in this position
- Australian slang an expression of affirmationdead set, I worked from dawn to dusk