- something that is owed or that one is bound to pay to or perform for another: a debt of $50.
- a liability or obligation to pay or render something: My debt to her for advice is not to be discharged easily.
- the condition of being under such an obligation: His gambling losses put him deeply in debt.
- Theology. an offense requiring reparation; a sin; a trespass.
Origin of debt
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for debt
These low-income students take on debt and are also the least likely to finish.The Student Loan Crisis That Isn’t About Kids at Harvard
November 30, 2014
By 2013, the company owed the lender about $35,000 per month—solely in interest payments—and imploded in debt.Patients Screwed in Spine Surgery ‘Scam’
The Center for Investigative Reporting
November 3, 2014
Between March 31 and June 31, the amount of debt held by the public actually shrank by $47 billion.The Battle of the Deficit Bulge Has Been Won
October 6, 2014
The company returned in May 2013 to Wall Streetto raise $600 million in debt and another $312 million in stock.Capitalism Is Saving the Climate, You Hippies
September 24, 2014
You see a lot of married men—the debt, the unemployment has broke up the family.Scotland’s ‘Yes’ Campaign and the Myth of Scottish Equality
September 18, 2014
He took a couple of drinks to celebrate his approaching immunity from debt.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
The church was in debt—everything in Brookfield was, except the town pump.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
I'm not going to run into debt or have trouble with tradesmen about money just because of your pride.The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
Is it true that he is so much in debt, and is so very—very profligate?Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete
If you tell me that he is dead, I am in your debt and bound to you for life.The Life And Adventures Of Nicholas Nickleby
- something that is owed, such as money, goods, or services
- bad debt a debt that has little or no prospect of being paid
- an obligation to pay or perform something; liability
- the state of owing something, esp money, or of being under an obligation (esp in the phrases in debt, in (someone's) debt)
- a temporary failure to maintain the necessary supply of somethingsleep debt; oxygen debt
Word Origin and History for debt
- Something that is deficient or required to restore a normal state.
Idioms and Phrases with debt
see head over heels (in debt).