- a system of counting or measurement, the units of which are powers of 10: the numerical system in common worldwide use.
Origin of decimal system
First recorded in 1835–45
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the number system in general use, having a base of ten, in which numbers are expressed by combinations of the ten digits 0 to 9
- a system of measurement, such as the metric system, in which the multiple and submultiple units are related to a basic unit by powers of ten
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A number system based on units of 10 and using decimal notation.
- A system of measurement in which all derived units are multiples of 10 of the fundamental units.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.