- to make out the meaning of (poor or partially obliterated writing, etc.): to decipher a hastily scribbled note.
- to discover the meaning of (anything obscure or difficult to trace or understand): to decipher hieroglyphics.
- to interpret by the use of a key, as something written in cipher: to decipher a secret message.
- Obsolete. to depict; portray.
Origin of decipher
Synonyms for decipherSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for deciphermentelucidation, clarification, explication, understanding, illustration, illumination, interpretation, reading, comprehension, decryption, decoding
Examples from the Web for decipherment
Historical Examples of decipherment
Grotefend, Georg Friedrich, decipherment of wedge writing, 16.The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria
Your decipherment of the secret despatch has come too late to do us good,—too late.
This done, the work of decipherment would take but a few minutes.
These may afford the key to the decipherment of both Lydian and Etruscan.Archology and the Bible
George A. Barton
Of date or postmark there is no vestige, and the decipherment was not easy.Great Ghost Stories
- to determine the meaning of (something obscure or illegible)
- to convert from code into plain text; decode