- to translate (data or a message) from a code into the original language or form.
- to extract meaning from (spoken or written symbols).
- Television. to unscramble (an electronic signal) so as to provide a video picture for cable subscribers.
- to work at decoding.
Origin of decode
Related Words for decodeuntangle, solve, unravel, translate, interpret, unscramble, break, read, decrypt, crack, unriddle
Examples from the Web for decode
Contemporary Examples of decode
The next one will be to teach cells to decode the information.Synthetic DNA: The New Drug Makers?
May 18, 2014
This track is so confusing and multi-layered, it would take a team of Mensa members with Ph.D.s in Ebonics to decode.Miley Cyrus’s Craziest Lyrics From ‘Bangerz,’ Analyzed
October 8, 2013
But she arguably did more than anyone to decode what was then the oldest written European language known to exist.Who Actually Cracked Linear B, the Ancient Code of the Mysterious Knossos Labyrinth?
May 17, 2013
He softened the rhetoric here and there, but if you decode his substantive words, he said nothing new.That Boehner Speech: Dragons Last Forever, But No So Little Speakers
November 8, 2012
Historical Examples of decode
We have received messages, but as yet I have only been partially able to decode them!
Therefore I sat down at the little desk and at once commenced to decode it.
One night he received a telegram in cipher, which he gave me to decode.
What they were recording was so unfamiliar that his brain could not decode the messages they sent.Viewpoint
Gordon Randall Garrett
It's there, my word for it, if we could only decode the thing.The Sleuth of St. James's Square
Melville Davisson Post
- to convert (a message, text, etc) from code into ordinary language
- computing to convert (coded characters) from one form to another, as from binary-coded decimals to decimal numbersCompare encode (def. 2)
- electronics to convert (a coded electrical signal) into normal analogue components
- to analyse and understand the construction of words and phrases, esp in a foreign language