- protection or shielding from hostile ground observation and flat projecting fire provided by an artificial or natural obstacle, as a hill.
- to shield from enemy fire by using natural or artificial obstacles.
Origin of defilade
Examples from the Web for defilade
Contemporary Examples of defilade
One man makes it across the defilade on the beach and another does not.A Very Good War
March 10, 2010
Historical Examples of defilade
In its construction the principles of defilade have been completely ignored.The Story of the Malakand Field Force
Sir Winston S. Churchill
This position commanded Fort Sanders, so that it now became necessary to defilade the fort.
- protection provided by obstacles against enemy crossfire from the rear, or observation
- the disposition of defensive fortifications to produce this protection
- to provide protection for by defilade