- determined, fixed, or clearly marked out as to extent, outline, or form: an itchy red rash with sharply defined edges.
Origin of defined
- to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.”
- to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions.
- to fix or lay down clearly and definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities.
- to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes.
- to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky.
- to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition.
Origin of define
Related Words for defineddelineate, represent, decide, explain, describe, prescribe, detail, characterize, exemplify, specify, determine, construe, designate, interpret, illustrate, set, mark, limit, distinguish, establish
Examples from the Web for defined
Contemporary Examples of defined
In February, Slovakia will have a referendum on whether marriage should be defined as a union between a man and a woman.‘Only God’ Can Stop Gay Marriage
January 6, 2015
And no issue should be defined by its outliers because it paints a false picture.Bill de Blasio’s Tea Party Problem
December 30, 2014
Local life in these places is not defined by their sports team or by their natural beauty—by things only available locally.
Instead, local life is defined by cultural products that are more national or more global—think of the Sunday New York Times.
The problem is that no one has yet defined eating disorder recovery.You’re Never ‘Cured’ of an Eating Disorder
December 20, 2014
Historical Examples of defined
You have defined her character, my dear sir, as correctly as if you had known her from her birth.Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit
Such a formula expresses the commandment of sexual ethics as we have defined it.The Sexual Question
He could not for his life have defined the difference, but there it was.A Singer from the Sea
Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr
May it not be defined as a period of about twenty years in a woman's life, and thirty in a man's?The Republic
The elements may be perceived by sense, but they are names, and cannot be defined.Theaetetus
- to state precisely the meaning of (words, terms, etc)
- to describe the nature, properties, or essential qualities of
- to determine the boundary or extent of
- (often passive) to delineate the form or outline ofthe shape of the tree was clearly defined by the light behind it
- to fix with precision; specify