- an action or gesture by a diplomat, especially a formal appeal, protest, or the like.
- a statement, protest, or the like presented to public officials by private citizens, interest groups, etc.
- a procedure or step; move; maneuver.
Origin of démarche
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for demarche
A hotel would be nothing; you could call on anybody at a hotel, if you had to; but here would be a demarche indeed!Lady Baltimore
- a move, step, or manoeuvre, esp in diplomatic affairs
- a representation or statement of views, complaints, etc, to a public authority
C17: literally: walk, gait, from Old French demarcher to tread, trample; see de-, march 1
Word Origin and History for demarche
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper