- to divest (a monetary standard or the like) of value.
- to withdraw (money or the like) from use.
- to deprive (an issue of postage stamps) of validity by legal methods and without marking the stamps themselves.
Origin of demonetize
Examples from the Web for demonetization
Historical Examples of demonetization
The House or the Senate, I 've forgotten which, had passed the demonetization bill.The Cross-Cut
Courtney Ryley Cooper
But what shall be said in defense of the demonetization of silver by the United States?Money
John P. Jones
He's our greatest authority on the demonetization of wampum.The Main Chance
It is the fact of monetization for one of the metals, and demonetization for the other.The Arena
The demonetization of silver, which has taken place in various countries.
- to deprive (a metal) of its capacity as a monetary standard
- to withdraw from use as currency
1852, from French démonétisation, from démonetiser (see demonetize).