- used in French names as a contraction of de and the article les: François des Adrets.
- a plural suffix appearing in loanwords from Greek: proboscides.
Origin of -des
Examples from the Web for des
Contemporary Examples of des
That candidate, Joni Ernst, did herself no favors yesterday by blowing off the editorial board of The Des Moines Register.How This Election Could Go to January
October 24, 2014
The stories are told through the eyes of two fishing guides, Crunch and Des, with a spare grace and humor that stand strong.Book Bag: Overlooked Classic Books From the Sunshine State
Randy Wayne White
September 30, 2014
The Des Moines women called their Senate contest “ugly,” the kind of race where you vote for the lesser of two evils.Voters Don't Care About DC's Obsessions
September 11, 2014
The venue is favored by houses like Comme des Garçons and Cerruti 1881, which housed its mensweek show there last month.Paris’s Secret Fashion Week Haunts
July 8, 2014
The ex-girlfriend had rallied to his side and written a letter to the editor of The Des Moines Register in his defense.The Bizarro World Of Iowa’s GOP Convention
June 23, 2014
Historical Examples of des
Since 1830 the widow again supplicated the Tribune des Chambres.
Her room was on the Rue des Orfevres, only three doors away from the Huberts.The Dream
"Oh, he heard it fast enough, des Mazes," rejoined d'Hebonville.The Boy Life of Napoleon
He owned an extensive silk warehouse on the Boulevard des Capucines.A Zola Dictionary
J. G. Patterson
"I live at the end of the Impasse des Bourdonnais," he said rapidly.The Fat and the Thin
- Department of Education and Science
- Diethylstilbestrol; a synthetic nonsteroidal substance having estrogenic properties and once used to treat menstrual disorders. It is no longer used due to the incidence of certain vaginal cancers in the daughters of women so treated.
- Short for diethylstilbestrol. A synthetic nonsteroidal substance having estrogenic properties and prescribed between 1938 and 1971 to pregnant women with a history of miscarriage and other problems of pregnancy. It is no longer used due to the incidence of certain vaginal cancers and other disorders in the daughters of women so treated.