- scheming; intriguing; artful; crafty.
- showing or using forethought.
- the act or art of making designs.
Origin of designing
Synonyms for designingSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- to prepare the preliminary sketch or the plans for (a work to be executed), especially to plan the form and structure of: to design a new bridge.
- to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.
- to intend for a definite purpose: a scholarship designed for foreign students.
- to form or conceive in the mind; contrive; plan: The prisoner designed an intricate escape.
- to assign in thought or intention; purpose: He designed to be a doctor.
- Obsolete. to mark out, as by a sign; indicate.
- to make drawings, preliminary sketches, or plans.
- to plan and fashion the form and structure of an object, work of art, decorative scheme, etc.
- an outline, sketch, or plan, as of the form and structure of a work of art, an edifice, or a machine to be executed or constructed.
- organization or structure of formal elements in a work of art; composition.
- the combination of details or features of a picture, building, etc.; the pattern or motif of artistic work: the design on a bracelet.
- the art of designing: a school of design.
- a plan or project: a design for a new process.
- a plot or intrigue, especially an underhand, deceitful, or treacherous one: His political rivals formulated a design to unseat him.
- designs, a hostile or aggressive project or scheme having evil or selfish motives: He had designs on his partner's stock.
- intention; purpose; end.
- adaptation of means to a preconceived end.
Origin of design
Related Words for designingintriguing, crooked, Machiavellian, scheming, sharp, cunning, conniving, artful, astute, deceitful, devious, heedful, observant, shrewd, sly, treacherous, tricky, unscrupulous, wily
Examples from the Web for designing
Contemporary Examples of designing
And in 1939, the MOMA building opened that he was instrumental in designing and building.This Republican Loved Taxes & Modern Art
November 19, 2014
He had been designing the outfits for the Paris-based company while they were performing in Rome.Revealing The Unseen Picasso
November 3, 2014
The challenge is designing tools to help make that happen.4 Science-Backed Ways to Motivate Yourself to Work Out
September 13, 2014
But Designing Home asks a deeper question as well: Why Jews?How Jews Created American Modernism
August 1, 2014
The money they spent on researching, designing, and marketing their goods is lost to a cheaper knockoff.Museum of Fakes for a City of Fakes
June 25, 2014
Historical Examples of designing
It has cost over $200,000, and it was in course of designing and construction two years.Flying Machines
W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
Why did Mrs. Hallam suspect him of designing to meet Calendar at Queensborough?The Black Bag
Louis Joseph Vance
And always thrown at his head by designing parents for his money.
This tendency is counteracted by designing the cross section with superelevation.American Rural Highways
T. R. Agg
So I invited him to sup with me, just as if he were a fair youth, and I a designing lover.Symposium
- artful and scheming; conniving; crafty
- to work out the structure or form of (something), as by making a sketch, outline, pattern, or plans
- to plan and make (something) artistically or skilfully
- (tr) to form or conceive in the mind; invent
- (tr) to intend, as for a specific purpose; plan
- (tr) obsolete to mark out or designate
- a plan, sketch, or preliminary drawing
- the arrangement or pattern of elements or features of an artistic or decorative workthe design of the desk is Chippendale
- a finished artistic or decorative creation
- the art of designing
- a plan, scheme, or project
- an end aimed at or planned for; intention; purpose
- (often plural; often foll by on or against) a plot or hostile scheme, often to gain possession of (something) by illegitimate means
- a coherent or purposeful pattern, as opposed to chaosGod's design appears in nature
- argument from design philosophy another name for teleological argument
Word Origin for design
Word Origin and History for designing
"scheming," 1670s, present participle adjective from design (v.).
1580s, from Middle French desseign "purpose, project, design," from Italian disegno, from disegnare "to mark out," from Latin designare "to mark out" (see design (v.)).
1540s, from Latin designare "mark out, devise, choose, designate, appoint," from de- "out" (see de-) + signare "to mark," from signum "a mark, sign" (see sign (n.)). Originally in English with the meaning now attached to designate; many modern uses of design are metaphoric extensions. Related: Designed; designing.
Idioms and Phrases with designing
see by design; have designs on.