Definition for developing (2 of 2)
verb (used with object)
- to cause to go through the process of natural evolution from a previous and lower stage.
- to cause to progress from an embryonic to an adult form.
- to render visible (the latent image on an exposed film or the like).
- to treat (an exposed film or the like) with chemicals so as to render the latent image visible.
verb (used without object)
- to progress from an embryonic to an adult form.
- to progress from earlier to later stages of ontogeny or phylogeny.
- to reach sexual maturity.
Origin of develop
Examples from the Web for developing
France 24's coverage of two developing hostage situations in Paris on Friday.
It could dramatically improve quality of life in communities throughout the developing world.
I am so sorry that your parents did this to you, developing their own discriminatory take on your existence.Dear Leelah, We Will Fight On For You: A Letter to a Dead Trans Teen|Parker Molloy|January 1, 2015|DAILY BEAST
We are developing a strategy next year that will permit them to march in the street.Before the Bros, SantaCon Was as an Anti-Corporate Protest|David Freedlander|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Later, he transferred to the School of Visual Arts in New York City after developing an interest in filmmaking.
And do we not in our own age see such a one developing itself in a manner unparalleled by all that have gone before in it?The philosophy of life, and philosophy of language, in a course of lectures|Frederick von Schlegel
By this means its latent qualities of reflection of light are brought to perfection, developing its real brilliancy.Equatorial America|Maturin M. Ballou
Then came thoughts of Madge Mullion, who seemed to be developing more and more a desire to enlist him in her train of admirers.The Vicar's People|George Manville Fenn
To neglect a faculty is by no means synonymous with developing it.The Curse of Education|Harold E. Gorst
It is a fine age we live in—this age of a developing social conscience, and worthy of a fine and great art.Another Sheaf|John Galsworthy
British Dictionary definitions for developing
- to treat (film, plate, or paper previously exposed to light, or the latent image in such material) with chemical solutions in order to produce a visible image
- to process (photographic material) in order to produce negatives and prints