- a combining form meaning “right,” used in the formation of compound words: dextrorotatatory.
- Chemistry. a combining form meaning “turning clockwise”: dextroglucose.
Also especially before a vowel, dextr-.
Origin of dextro-
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
before a vowel dextr-
- on or towards the rightdextrorotation
- (in chemistry) indicating a dextrorotatory compounddextroglucose
Word Origin for dextro-
from Latin, from dexter on the right side
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
word-forming element meaning "toward or on the right-hand side," from comb. form of Latin dexter (see dexterity).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- On or to the right; right:dextroposition.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.