- action aided or caused by the devil; sorcery; witchcraft.
- the character or condition of a devil.
- a doctrine concerning devils.
- a belief in or worship of devils.
- action befitting the devil; deviltry.
Origin of diabolism
Related Words for diabolismfascination, illusion, wizardry, witchcraft, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill, wrong, corruption, suffering, misery, hatred, crime, sin, necromancy, foreboding, augury, prediction
Examples from the Web for diabolism
Historical Examples of diabolism
A wizard was understandable; but this was diabolism beyond sanity.The Hour of the Dragon
Robert E. Howard
Here were signs of grace on one side, and diabolism on the other.A Breeze from the Woods, 2nd Ed.
William Chauncey Bartlett
It is merely the diabolism of instinct that prompts the young to believe that the race is all.Ancestors
Diabolism seemed to be a cheerful, even a wholesome, influence in his life.Seven Men
It has troubled me, said Herring, but helped me, to hear that Frye was a channel for that diabolism.The Religio-Medical Masquerade
Frederick William Peabody
- activities designed to enlist the aid of devils, esp in witchcraft or sorcery
- worship of devils or beliefs and teachings concerning them
- the nature of devils
- character or conduct that is devilish or fiendish; devilry