- a figure, usually consisting of a line drawing, made to accompany and illustrate a geometrical theorem, mathematical demonstration, etc.
- a drawing or plan that outlines and explains the parts, operation, etc., of something: a diagram of an engine.
- a chart, plan, or scheme.
- to represent by a diagram; make a diagram of.
Origin of diagram
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
Related Words for diagrammingchart, outline, arrange, calculate, predict, propose, forecast, see, estimate, envisage, delineate, portray, depict, paint, chalk, expound, describe, define, justify, illustrate
Examples from the Web for diagramming
Historical Examples of diagramming
- a sketch, outline, or plan demonstrating the form or workings of something
- maths a pictorial representation of a quantity or of a relationshipa Venn diagram
- to show in or as if in a diagram
Word Origin for diagram
C17: from Latin diagramma, from Greek, from diagraphein, from graphein to write
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper