- a figure, usually consisting of a line drawing, made to accompany and illustrate a geometrical theorem, mathematical demonstration, etc.
- a drawing or plan that outlines and explains the parts, operation, etc., of something: a diagram of an engine.
- a chart, plan, or scheme.
- to represent by a diagram; make a diagram of.
Origin of diagram
Examples from the Web for diagramming
- a sketch, outline, or plan demonstrating the form or workings of something
- maths a pictorial representation of a quantity or of a relationshipa Venn diagram
- to show in or as if in a diagram
Word Origin and History for diagramming
1610s, from French diagramme, from Latin diagramma, from Greek diagramma "geometric figure, that which is marked out by lines," from diagraphein "mark out by lines, delineate," from dia- "across, out" (see dia-) + graphein "write, mark, draw" (see -graphy). The verb is 1840, from the noun.