- a figure, usually consisting of a line drawing, made to accompany and illustrate a geometrical theorem, mathematical demonstration, etc.
- a drawing or plan that outlines and explains the parts, operation, etc., of something: a diagram of an engine.
- a chart, plan, or scheme.
- to represent by a diagram; make a diagram of.
Origin of diagram
Related Words for diagramblueprint, layout, outline, figure, chart, game, design, perspective, draft, representation, description
Examples from the Web for diagram
Contemporary Examples of diagram
There are indications of this early on, particularly in a scene in which Selina tries to teach Pervus to diagram sentences.American Dreams, 1924: ‘So Big’ by Edna Ferber
March 29, 2014
But nobody can look at that diagram and think about anything other than an impressively sized phallus.11 News Anchor Flubs: Tom Brokaw on Ambien, Weather Penis, and More
December 18, 2013
Deep in the shadows they aimed a pinpoint flashlight at a diagram drawn from a recent satellite image.The Night the SEALS Captured the Butcher of Fallujah
November 11, 2013
I ask Lynch to draw a diagram to show the before and after of TM.David Lynch Discusses Transcendental Meditation in Los Angeles
April 7, 2013
So the diagram had a Seinfeldian twist: it was about nothing.Bibi's Illusion Of Alarm
September 28, 2012
Historical Examples of diagram
Draw a diagram representing the circumference line and pitch in feet.Flying Machines
W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
Mark, however, said he would teach him the lay of the case that evening from a diagram.Cleo The Magnificent
And this is most clearly shown when he is taken to a diagram or to anything of that sort.Phaedo
Making the pelvis loop may be easily followed in diagram in Fig. 17.Taxidermy
Leon Luther Pray
The reason for this is best described with the aid of a diagram.Submarine Warfare of To-day
Charles W. Domville-Fife
- a sketch, outline, or plan demonstrating the form or workings of something
- maths a pictorial representation of a quantity or of a relationshipa Venn diagram
- to show in or as if in a diagram
Word Origin for diagram
Word Origin and History for diagram
1610s, from French diagramme, from Latin diagramma, from Greek diagramma "geometric figure, that which is marked out by lines," from diagraphein "mark out by lines, delineate," from dia- "across, out" (see dia-) + graphein "write, mark, draw" (see -graphy). The verb is 1840, from the noun.