- Also dichroic. having or showing two colors; dichromic.
- Zoology. exhibiting two color phases within a species not due to age or season.
Origin of dichromatic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for dichromatic
The former is what is called a dichromatic species; some of the birds are blue, and others white.A Florida Sketch-Book
- Also: dichroic having or consisting of only two colours
- (of animal species) having two different colour varieties that are independent of sex and age
- able to perceive only two (instead of three) primary colours and the mixes of these colours
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having or exhibiting two colors.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by dichromatism.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.