- the amount by which one quantity is greater or less than another.
- relative complement.
- (of a function f) an expression of the form f(x + h) − f(x).
verb (used with object), dif·fer·enced, dif·fer·enc·ing.
- to compromise, especially to make equal concessions.
- to divide the remainder equally: Let's take half of the cake and let the three of them split the difference.
Origin of difference
Examples from the Web for differencing
Various charges may be placed on the points of Labels to extend their capacity for differencing.The Handbook to English Heraldry|Charles Boutell
A similar mode of differencing occurs in the Lyon Register in many other families.
Be ready to help the poor as well as the rich; differencing them no further than the public good requireth you to do.A Christian Directory (Part 4 of 4)|Richard Baxter
They sin against the differencing grace, which appeared in their conversion.A Christian Directory (Volume 1 of 4)|Richard Baxter
Differencing in Scotland is carried out on an entirely different basis from differencing in England.
British Dictionary definitions for differencing
- the result of the subtraction of one number, quantity, etc, from another
- the single number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend; remainder
- the set of members of the first that are not members of the secondSymbol: A – B
- symmetric difference the set of members of one but not both of the given setsOften symbolized: A + B
- to have an effect
- to treat differently
- to settle a dispute by a compromise
- to divide a remainder equally
Word Origin and History for differencing
mid-14c., from Old French difference (12c.) "difference, distinction; argument, dispute," from Latin differentia "diversity, difference," from differentem (nominative differens), present participle of differre "to set apart" (see differ). Sense of "a quarrel" first attested late 14c. Colloquial phrase what's the diff? first recorded 1896.
Medicine definitions for differencing
Idioms and Phrases with differencing
see make a difference; split the difference. Also see under different.