- dilating; expanding.
- Physical Chemistry. exhibiting an increase in volume on being changed in shape, owing to a wider spacing between particles.
- Petrology. (of rock) exhibiting an increase in volume owing to rearrangement and recrystallization of constituent grains.
Origin of dilatant
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a phenomenon caused by the nature of the stacking or fitting together of particles or granules in a heterogeneous system, such as the solidification of certain sols under pressure, and the thixotropy of certain gels
- tending to dilate; dilating
- physics of, concerned with, or exhibiting dilatancy
- something, such as a catheter, that causes dilation