- a molecule composed of two identical, simpler molecules.
- a polymer derived from two identical monomers.
Origin of dimer
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a molecule composed of two identical simpler molecules (monomers)
- a compound consisting of dimers
C20: from di- 1 + -mer
- A molecule consisting of two identical simpler molecules.
- A chemical compound consisting of such molecules.
- Any of various chemical compounds made of two smaller identical or similar molecules (called monomers) that are linked together. Dimers are linked by hydrogen bonds, coordinate bonds, or covalent bonds. Sucrose is a dimer composed of the monomers glucose and fructose.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.