- a document given by an educational institution conferring a degree on a person or certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed a course of study.
- a document conferring some honor, privilege, or power.
- a public or official document, especially one of historical interest: a diploma from Carolingian times.
- to grant or award a diploma to.
Origin of diploma
1635–45; < Latin diplōma a letter of recommendation, an official document < Greek díplōma a letter folded double, equivalent to diplō-, variant stem of diploûn to double (derivative of diplóos; see diplo-) + -ma suffix of result
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for diploma
The “doctorate” Duke claims is from an anti-Semitic Ukranian “diploma mill” as described by the State Department.The Price of Steve Scalise’s Silence
January 7, 2015
This is not the case, but the reality is worse: losing access to a diploma and getting kicked out of school.The University Of New Orleans’ Cigarette Ban Is Total BS
October 21, 2014
This formula excludes students who take longer than four years to earn their diploma, and GEDs and other special diplomas.The Daily Beast's Top High Schools 2014: Methodology
August 27, 2014
The Palestinians who do manage to receive a diploma, against all odds, are faced with yet another challenge.The Not-So-Bright Future of Palestine's Class of 2013
June 21, 2013
He said he already had his diploma and was studying at a community college to be an electrician.I Tackled a School Gunman
December 25, 2012
"That don't seem to line up with the doctor's diploma," commented Weary.Chip, of the Flying U
B. M. Bower
He's right out of medical school and is just as fresh as his diploma.The Depot Master
Joseph C. Lincoln
I think I saw a German diploma amongst the papers you forwarded to our committee?One Of Them
Charles James Lever
If a popular vote had been necessary, not one of them would yet have her diploma.
"Tell us," said Phyllis laboriously, "about diploma——" and there it stuck.
- a document conferring a qualification, recording success in examinations or successful completion of a course of study
- an official document that confers an honour or privilege
C17: from Latin: official letter or document, literally: letter folded double, from Greek; see diplo-
Word Origin and History for diploma
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper