- noting or pertaining to the style of French furnishings and decoration of the mid-1790s, characterized by an increasing use of Greco-Roman forms along with an introduction, toward the end, of Egyptian motifs: usually includes the Consulate period.
- (of costume) in the style of the period of the French Directory.
- French History. directory(def 5).
Origin of Directoire
Examples from the Web for directoire
Historical Examples of directoire
It is as yet only tentatively that they adopt the mode of the Directoire.
Everybody said that the world had not seen such undressing in public since the Grecian revival at the time of the Directoire.What Will People Say?
Two years later the "Directoire" pronounced in favour of maintaining the 10-grm.The History of Currency, 1252 to 1896
William Arthur Shaw
The Directoire reaction towards simplicity was influenced by English fashion.Woman as Decoration
The Directoire dress points to another period of republican simplicity, anarchy, and the rule of a popular despot.
- history the French DirectorySee Directory
- of, in, or relating to a decorative style of the end of the 18th century in France; a form of neoclassicism
- characteristic of women's dress during the French Directory, typically an almost transparent dress with the waistline under the bust