- to cease to be seen; vanish from sight.
- to cease to exist or be known; pass away; end gradually: One by one the symptoms disappeared.
- (of a person) to vanish under suspicious circumstances: The dictator's outspoken opponent disappeared that evening, shortly after midnight.
- to cause to disappear: The magician then disappeared the card.
- to kidnap or arrest and then imprison or kill (a political opponent) without due process of law.
- the disappeared, political opponents who are caused to disappear, as by kidnapping: the disappeared of Argentina.
Origin of disappear
Examples from the Web for disappear
It is wild that something that would seem to be so scandalous would just disappear from the press.Inside the Lifetime Whitney Houston Movie’s Lesbian Lover Storyline
December 16, 2014
Ultimately, all it took was the mere mention of a lawyer for the perpetrator to delete the accounts and disappear completely.A Female Writer’s New Milestone: Her First Death Threat
December 1, 2014
The CAP paper estimates that if current trends continue unabated, overtime pay will disappear entirely by 2026.It’s Always Black Friday for Clerks
November 28, 2014
“I was hospitalized for two or three days waiting for the swelling to disappear,” he recalled.How His West Point Football Experience Inspired Eisenhower
November 11, 2014
Many of their bodies get caught up in fishing nets or disappear forever.Britain’s Let-Em-All-Die Policy
Nico Hines, Barbie Latza Nadeau
November 1, 2014
Mr. Tainter saw me disappear from the window, and at once spoke to the transmitter.Heroes of the Telegraph
Then he'd get the blame, and I'd disappear, never to be seen again.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
The tropical forms all disappear in these zones, as the equatorial do in the tropical zones.Life: Its True Genesis
R. W. Wright
You said at the beginning that nothing was more difficult than to disappear.Jennie Baxter, Journalist
No, I've got to disappear again, and they must think what they will.Frank Roscoe's Secret
- (intr) to cease to be visible; vanish
- (intr) to go away or become lost, esp secretly or without explanation
- (intr) to cease to exist, have effect, or be known; become extinct or lostthe pain has disappeared
- (tr) (esp in South and Central America) to arrest secretly and presumably imprison or kill (a member of an opposing political group)
Word Origin and History for disappear
early 15c., disaperen, from dis- "do the opposite of" + appear. Earlier was disparish (early 15c.), from French disparaiss-, stem of disparaître. Related: Disappeared; disappearing; disappears. Slang disappearing act is originally of magic shows; in figurative sense of "getting away" first attested 1913.