- Also called disjunctive, inclusive disjunction. a compound proposition that is true if and only if at least one of a number of alternatives is true.
- Also called exclusive disjunction. a compound proposition that is true if and only if one and only one of a number of alternatives is true.
- the relation among the components of such a proposition, usually expressed by AND or V.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Words nearby disjunction
How to use disjunction in a sentence
There would have been continuity between the painted and real world, instead of disjunction.
The problem of distance is compounded by distraction and disjunction.
There is a constant disjunction between political tact and political candor.
We all sense this disjunction between wanting to make the world, the whole world so much larger than this boot room.
Disjunction of the secreting apparatus from the copulating apparatus: spiders, dragon-flies.The Natural Philosophy of Love|Remy de Gourmont
Aversion between married partners arises from a disunion of souls and a disjunction of minds, 236.The Delights of Wisdom Pertaining to Conjugial Love|Emanuel Swedenborg
For this disjunction from Hellenic life, brought about by war, is not only physical but has become spiritual.Homer's Odyssey|Denton J. Snider
This closure of nature does not carry with it any metaphysical doctrine of the disjunction of nature and mind.The Concept of Nature|Alfred North Whitehead
There exists no disjunction between aesthetic qualities which are final yet idle, and acts which are practical or instrumental.Essays in Experimental Logic|John Dewey
British Dictionary definitions for disjunction
- the operator that forms a compound sentence from two given sentences and corresponds to the English or
- a sentence so formed. Usually written p ∨ q where p, q are the component sentences, it is true (inclusive sense) whenever either or both of the latter are true; the exclusive disjunction, for which there is no symbol, is true when either but not both disjuncts is
- the relation between such sentences