- the displacing in space of one mass by another.
- the weight or the volume of fluid displaced by a floating or submerged body.Compare Archimedes' principle.
- the linear or angular distance in a given direction between a body or point and a reference position.
- the distance of an oscillating body from its central position or point of equilibrium at any given moment.
- the volume of the space through which a piston travels during a single stroke in an engine, pump, or the like.
- the total volume of the space traversed by all the pistons.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON “ITS” VS. “IT’S”!
OTHER WORDS FROM displacementpre·dis·place·ment, noun
Words nearby displacement
Example sentences from the Web for displacement
The practice is rife with allegations of child labor, dangerous working conditions, community displacement, and water pollution from toxic processing chemicals.Can Tesla help solve one of the thorniest ethical problems with electric vehicles?|Tim McDonnell|September 10, 2020|Quartz
So I wouldn’t say there’s been a displacement in shopper marketing spend due to the growth of e-commerce.‘Retailers are media owners in their own right’: Why e-commerce is driving more of Unilever’s media spend|Seb Joseph|September 9, 2020|Digiday
How to figure out sizingGenerally speaking, the lower the displacement, the lower the seat height.
Manufacturers design each displacement level of bike with suitable engines, tech, and safety features in mind.
These machines come in a variety of different displacement levels from 50cc to 125cc.
This spatial displacement reveals your thirst for freedom, your desire for openness and to break with the protest novel.
For those who escape direct physical injury, there remain the ill effects of displacement and deprivation.
A tense, dynamic equilibrium between the U.S. and China seems more likely than a clear displacement of the former by the latter.
The daily killing and displacement of civilians have not led to an international agreement to stop the conflict.After 3 Years of Brutal War Syria is Still Burning, but the World’s Attention Seems to Have Moved On.|Abdulhamid Qabbani|March 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Palestinians call their displacement from Syria “a second Nakba,” Ellis said.In Syria, Palestinian Refugees Made Refugees Again|Matt Surrusco|October 18, 2013|DAILY BEAST
This secular displacement of the line of the apsides brings a sixth complication to the motion of our abiding-place.Urania|Camille Flammarion
They are simply well-designed boats of light displacement and large sail-area, very fast and very handy.Yachting Vol. 2|Various.
Instances of such displacement are given in the footnote of the previous paragraph.
In all of these cases, the movement of displacement is identical, and presents only adventitious differences.Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 3|Plotinos (Plotinus)
The displacement of religious by other considerations is observable on all sides.Theism or Atheism|Chapman Cohen
British Dictionary definitions for displacement
Medical definitions for displacement
Scientific definitions for displacement
- The relative movement between the two sides of a geologic fault.
- The distance between the two sides of a fault. Also called dislocation