- to divert or amuse (oneself).
- to display (oneself) in a sportive manner: The picnickers disported themselves merrily on the beach.
- to divert oneself; sport.
- diversion; amusement; play; sport.
Origin of disport
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to indulge (oneself) in pleasure
- (intr) to frolic or gambol
- archaic amusement
C14: from Anglo-French desporter, from des- dis- 1 + porter to carry
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for disportment
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper