- an act or instance of disposing; arrangement: the disposal of the troops.
- a disposing of or getting rid of something: the disposal of waste material.
- a disposing or allotting of, as by gift or sale; bestowal or assignment: She left no will to indicate the disposal of her possessions.
- power or right to dispose of a thing; control: left at his disposal.
Origin of disposal1
SynonymsSee more synonyms for disposal on Thesaurus.com
- an electrical device in the drain of a sink, for grinding up garbage to be washed down the drain.
Origin of disposal2
Examples from the Web for disposal
The rich and the powerful have resources at their disposal that people like brave Mr. Cole do not.How I Stopped My Rapist
November 24, 2014
To save the Windy City, we have to use everything at our disposal.Send the National Guard to Chicago
Roland S. Martin
July 9, 2014
He promised to use all means at his disposal to defend Russians.Ukraine Wants to Seal Its Russian Border
July 2, 2014
If policymakers were serious about tackling the issue, what are the levers at their disposal?The Way to Tackle College Debt Is to Take on Tuition Inflation
Kristen Soltis Anderson
May 23, 2014
Sandbags were attached to the corpses to make them sink but the disposal was botched.'In Cold Blood' in Ukraine
May 3, 2014
All the other statues and drawings of your illustrious kinsman are at your disposal.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
(b) What disposal should be made of meat from which stock is made?Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 3
Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
He wished to have the property and lives of the people of England entirely at his own disposal.Biographical Stories
I was no longer a man with a will of my own, or with time at my own disposal.Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10)
He had no other relations, and his fortune was completely at his own disposal.Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
- the act or means of getting rid of something
- placement or arrangement in a particular order
- a specific method of tending to matters, as in business
- the act or process of transferring something to or providing something for another
- the power or opportunity to make use of someone or something (esp in the phrase at one's disposal)
- a means of destroying waste products, as by grinding into particles
Word Origin and History for disposal
Idioms and Phrases with disposal
see put at someone's disposal.