- a number by which another number, the dividend, is divided.
- a number contained in another given number a certain integral number of times, without a remainder.
Origin of divisor
Examples from the Web for divisor
Historical Examples of divisor
Every divisor is a gift of God, and corresponds to the months of the year and to the revolution of the universe.Laws
Nobody in the world knows yet whether that number has a divisor or not.
The only number composed only of ones that we know with certainty to have no divisor is 11.
When the last of the divisor must not be set below the last of the dividend.The Earliest Arithmetics in English
It is simple division: wealth the dividend, number of children the divisor.The Principles of Economics
Frank A. Fetter
- a number or quantity to be divided into another number or quantity (the dividend)
- a number that is a factor of another number
early 15c., Latin agent noun from dividere (see divide (v.)).
- A number used to divide another. In the equation 15 ÷ 3 = 5, 3 is the divisor.