- a divorced man.
Origin of divorcé
- a man who has been divorced
- the dissolution of a marriage by judgment of a court or by accepted custom
- a judicial decree declaring a marriage to be dissolved
- a separation, esp one that is total or complete
- to separate or be separated by divorce; give or obtain a divorce (to a couple or from one's spouse)
- (tr) to remove or separate, esp completely
Word Origin for divorce
late 14c., from Old French divorce (14c.), from Latin divortium "separation, dissolution of marriage," from divertere "to separate, leave one's husband, turn aside" (see divert). Not distinguished in English from legal separation until mid-19c.
late 14c., from Old French divorcer, from divorce (see divorce (n.)). Related: Divorced; divorcing.