- a pretty but expressionless or unintelligent woman.
- a girl or woman, especially one who is considered attractive.
- a boy or man who is considered attractive.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar term of address, as to a child or romantic partner (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- to dress, groom, or style oneself in an elegant or ostentatiously fashionable manner: She got all dolled up for an evening at the opera.
- to make more attractive, as by decorating or embellishing: The street was dolled up with showy flowers and colorful banners.
BEAT THE DOLDRUMS WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of doll
OTHER WORDS FROM dolldoll·ish, doll-like, adjectivedoll·ish·ly, adverbdoll·ish·ness, noun
Words nearby doll
Definition for doll (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for doll
When little boys reject dolls, we do not learn about their innate abilities to care for infants.No, Animals Do Not Have Genders - Facts So Romantic|Cailin O'Connor|August 26, 2020|Nautilus
To test out a doll he designed to have realistic human proportions, Nickolay Lamm went to a group of second-graders in Pittsburgh.Pot-Smoking Grannies, Jimmy Fallon Covers U2, and More Viral Videos|The Daily Beast Video|November 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The auction house reached out to the Levine estate to procur the doll.Bid on CIA’s Osama Action Figure, Lewinsky's Lingerie, and More at This L.A. Auction House|Asawin Suebsaeng|November 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This video is NSFW for language, as well as that bit with the doll.
Julia is intelligent, attractive, professionally successful and does not own a doll.
He had, according to the museum, challenged the doll to do its worst before leaving.Beware: Connecticut’s Museum of the Occult May Kill You|Nina Strochlic|July 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
We have lived next door to each other ever since our doll days.The Seven Sleuths' Club|Carol Norton
Mrs Leslie was downstairs, he therefore hoped that he might be able to creep in and search for the doll without being discovered.Norman Vallery|W.H.G. Kingston
I then looked at the doll carefully, and it was certainly something out of the common.The South Pole, Volumes 1 and 2|Roald Amundsen
The heavy man unconsciously shook him in his powerful grasp, as a child might shake a doll.The Joyous Adventures of Aristide Pujol|William J. Locke
Lily was not heavy like Sue, the doll about which I told you before, the one the lady once thought was her baby in the car.Six Little Bunkers at Aunt Jo's|Laura Lee Hope