- a pretty but expressionless or unintelligent woman.
- a girl or woman, especially one who is considered attractive.
- a boy or man who is considered attractive.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar term of address, as to a child or romantic partner (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
- to dress, groom, or style oneself in an elegant or ostentatiously fashionable manner: She got all dolled up for an evening at the opera.
- to make more attractive, as by decorating or embellishing: The street was dolled up with showy flowers and colorful banners.
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
Origin of doll
OTHER WORDS FROM dolldoll·ish, doll-like, adjectivedoll·ish·ly, adverbdoll·ish·ness, noun
Words nearby doll
Definition for doll (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for doll
One California mother contacted them about a doll that looked harmless, with a cute face and long dark hair.Someone out there wants to adopt your creepy toys. There’s a matchmaker for that.|Maureen O'Hagan|October 29, 2020|Washington Post
When little boys reject dolls, we do not learn about their innate abilities to care for infants.No, Animals Do Not Have Genders - Facts So Romantic|Cailin O'Connor|August 26, 2020|Nautilus
To test out a doll he designed to have realistic human proportions, Nickolay Lamm went to a group of second-graders in Pittsburgh.Pot-Smoking Grannies, Jimmy Fallon Covers U2, and More Viral Videos|The Daily Beast Video|November 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The auction house reached out to the Levine estate to procur the doll.Bid on CIA’s Osama Action Figure, Lewinsky's Lingerie, and More at This L.A. Auction House|Asawin Suebsaeng|November 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This video is NSFW for language, as well as that bit with the doll.
Julia is intelligent, attractive, professionally successful and does not own a doll.
He had, according to the museum, challenged the doll to do its worst before leaving.Beware: Connecticut’s Museum of the Occult May Kill You|Nina Strochlic|July 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
We have lived next door to each other ever since our doll days.The Seven Sleuths' Club|Carol Norton
Mrs Leslie was downstairs, he therefore hoped that he might be able to creep in and search for the doll without being discovered.Norman Vallery|W.H.G. Kingston
I then looked at the doll carefully, and it was certainly something out of the common.The South Pole, Volumes 1 and 2|Roald Amundsen
The heavy man unconsciously shook him in his powerful grasp, as a child might shake a doll.The Joyous Adventures of Aristide Pujol|William J. Locke
Lily was not heavy like Sue, the doll about which I told you before, the one the lady once thought was her baby in the car.Six Little Bunkers at Aunt Jo's|Laura Lee Hope