- the one of a pair of alternative alleles that masks the effect of the other when both are present in the same cell or organism.
- the trait or character determined by such an allele.Compare recessive(defs 4, 5).
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of dominant
synonym study for dominant
OTHER WORDS FROM dominantdom·i·nant·ly, adverbnon·dom·i·nant, adjective, noun
Words nearby dominant
Example sentences from the Web for dominant
For all that we may wish it to be, “dating” simply is not the dominant romantic culture here.Random Hook-Ups or Dry Spells: Why Millennials Flunk College Dating|Ellie Schaack|January 1, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Many young women in the BDSM subculture find their way into a dominant role, whether coming from a submissive standpoint or not.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The sharply tailored blazer and weighty jewelry that cling to her body hints at the dominant personality she possesses.
Buddhist or Jewish dominant countries are more accepting than Christian or Muslim dominant ones.It Gets Better—but Mostly if You Live in a Rich, Democratic Country|Jay Michaelson|November 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
If similar rates of increase continued, it would quickly become a dominant factor in elections.
At any rate, if this be not strictly true,22 my mind is the most important and dominant element within me.
The fear of ridicule is the most dominant of our feelings, that which controls us in most things and with the most strength.Introduction to the Science of Sociology|Robert E. Park
There has been therefore in the successive forms and stages of animal life a clear sequence of dominant nervous actions.The Whence and the Whither of Man|John Mason Tyler
Everybody knows the steps by which this embodied selfishness achieved his emancipation from a dominant Church.The Eighteen Christian Centuries|James White
The dominant factor determining the character of this new age, however, is the hero.Elements of Folk Psychology|Wilhelm Wundt
British Dictionary definitions for dominant
- (of an allele) producing the same phenotype in the organism irrespective of whether the allele of the same gene is identical or dissimilar
- (of a character) controlled by such a gene
- a dominant allele or character
- an organism having such an allele or character
- the fifth degree of a scale and the second in importance after the tonic
- a key or chord based on this