- Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit: If you make me wear that, I’ll look like a total dork!
- Slang: Vulgar. penis.
Origin of dork
By the late 60s, American college students had extended the meaning of dork to refer to a socially awkward person. While at first this sense of dork carried pejorative connotations, the term has since been “taken back” by the people it once so cruelly described, and now can even be given as a compliment. If a girl calls a guy “adorkable” (the combination of “dork” and “adorable”), she means to say he is cute in a socially awkward, yet endearing way.
Geeks and nerds, while still dorky, are generally considered more intelligent than dorks. Next time you call someone a dork think about its short history in the English language, and reflect upon what a word nerd you are.
— King Dork: A coming-of-age novel by Frank Portman, first published in 2006.
—Son of Dork: A powerpop band from the UK.
— Dork Tower: An online comic by John Kovalic.
- "[O]ver there he wouldn’t be no fatboy or dork or kid no girl had ever loved; over there he’d be a hero, an avenger."-Juno Díaz The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (2007)
- "[W]hile I’m definitely a dork, I’m not a nerd...I’m lucky that they’re popular enough that they don’t have to worry about…being seen with a dork like me."-Robin Friedman The Girlfriend Project (2007)
- "The terror-image he had was of having to go naked into a communal shower and having the other draftees laugh at the size of his dork."-Desmond Stone Alec Wilder in Spite of Himself (1996)
Related Words for dorkbumpkin, buffoon, slob, brute, idiot, boob, nerd, fool, weirdo, jerk, techie, freak, twit, nitwit, stupid, moron, clod, lummox, clodhopper, oaf
Examples from the Web for dork
Contemporary Examples of dork
As with any new device, fears came up about privacy, security, the fear of looking like a dork, and piracy.Google Glass Is Helping Doctors Save Lives. Maybe It’s Time to Reconsider the Poorly Received Technology.
Valerie Vande Panne
March 28, 2014
But the number of folks who dork out over the latest cool gizmos is actually a relatively small slice of the human population.Is Wearable Technology a Fad or the Future?
January 9, 2014
Historical Examples of dork
“Neither do they, dork,” Hilda said, giving him an elbow in the ribs.Makers
Oh, Dork, don't ask questions; it's a disgraceful affair, I fear.
Oh, hang it all, Dork, I'll go into some respectable business and earn a living.
In one of the waistcoat pockets Mr. Dork found the dead man's silver watch, with a blood-stained ribbon and a worthless gilt seal.
Mr. Dork looked about him in the moonlight, entirely bewildered by the disappearance of Samuel Prodder.
- a stupid or incompetent person
- US a penis
Word Origin for dork
"stupid person," 1967, originally U.S. student slang, perhaps from earlier meaning "penis" (1964), itself probably an alteration of dick. Related: Dorky; dorkiness.