- any of several plovers usually inhabiting upland areas, especially Eudromias morinellus, of Europe and Asia.
- British Dialect. a silly, stupid person, especially one who is easily duped.
Origin of dotterel
Examples from the Web for dotterel
Historical Examples of dotterel
The dotterel is one of the most interesting of British birds.Poachers and Poaching
The Dotterel (Pluvialis morinellus) is a little larger than a Blackbird.Reptiles and Birds
In short, whatever the fowler does, the Dotterel does the same.British Birds in their Haunts
Rev. C. A. Johns
Such a character as Dotterel is hardly made to allude to the pocula coronata of the Romans.
Last night we had dotterel and sandpipers for dinner, this morning greenshanks, which are very good birds indeed.Three in Norway
James Arthur Lees
- a rare Eurasian plover, Eudromias morinellus, with reddish-brown underparts and white bands around the head and neck
- Australian any similar and related bird, esp of the genus Charadrius
- dialect a person who is foolish or easily duped