- to check twice or again; recheck.
- a second examination or verification to assure accuracy, proper functioning, or the like.
Origin of double-check
An Americanism dating back to 1950–55
- a simultaneous check by two pieces in which the moving of one piece to give check also results in discovering a check by another piece.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsconfirm, verify, determine, divine, double-check, restate, renew, repeat, echo, authenticate, prove, substantiate, certify, corroborate, demonstrate, establish, check, justify, uphold, affirm
Examples from the Web for double-check
(Double-check, actually, as the topic of Iran took up two of the four slots on the agenda).What Role For AIPAC In The Process?
Emily L. Hauser
August 9, 2013
I think that's what I've been told by experts in the past, will double-check.The Court and Gay Marriage
June 26, 2013
To double-check, Taylor was winched out to carry out a physical search of the boat.William's Winchman Wins Bravery Award
September 28, 2012
So I'm going to double-check on this one just to make sure.Backstage at Vera Wang
September 14, 2010
To double-check, he used the radius of the Galaxy as base to calculate the distance.Islands of Space
John W Campbell
The crooked system of double-check tenders for timber limits must be altered.The Boss of Wind River
David Goodger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
It might be a case of check and double-check, but the breaks were mostly on Suicide Sasebo's side.Dave Dawson on Guadalcanal
Robert Sydney Bowen
"Well, all that was simply a check and double-check, you might say," Colonel Welsh said as his face became grave.Dave Dawson at Casablanca
Robert Sydney Bowen
- to check twice or again; verify
- a second examination or verification
- chess a simultaneous check from two pieces brought about by moving one piece to give check and thereby revealing a second check from another piece
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for double-check
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper