- a symbol (× or ) that raises by two semitones the pitch of the following note.
- a note or tone marked or affected by such a symbol.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for double sharp
Historical Examples of double sharp
(Sometimes also the single sharp or flat will be found by itself, cancelling the double-sharp or double-flat).Music Notation and Terminology
Karl W. Gehrkens
- an accidental that raises the pitch of the following note by two semitonesUsual symbol:
- a note affected by this accidental
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a note of a given letter name raised in pitch by two semitones
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012