- of uncertain outcome or result.
- admitting of or causing doubt; uncertain; ambiguous.
- unsettled in opinion or belief; undecided; hesitating.
- of equivocal or questionable character: His tactics are highly doubtful.
Origin of doubtful
Synonyms for doubtfulSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for doubtful
Related Words for doubtfullydubiously, askance, suspiciously, tentatively, ambiguously, problematically, questionably, uncertainly
Examples from the Web for doubtfully
Historical Examples of doubtfully
For an instant, he hesitated while the others regarded him doubtfully.Within the Law
Now, every man who was a handful or two short of his crop began to look at us doubtfully.The Trail Book
Jethro looked at her doubtfully, and then, as she smiled at him, he smiled also.Tiverton Tales
Little Dorrit looked at him doubtfully, and not without alarm. 'Little Dorrit
The guard watched us doubtfully, and angrily, but he let us pass.Priestess of the Flame
Sewell Peaslee Wright
- unlikely; improbable
- characterized by or causing doubt; uncertaina doubtful answer
- unsettled; unresolved
- of questionable reputation or morality
- having reservations or misgivings
- (of a sportsperson) not likely to be fit enough to play or take part
- a person who is undecided or uncertain about an issue
- a sportsperson who is not likely to be fit enough to play or take part