- a jet or current of water, sometimes with a dissolved medicating or cleansing agent, applied to a body part, organ, or cavity for medicinal or hygienic purposes.
- the application of such a jet.
- an instrument, as a syringe, for administering it.
- a bath administered by such a jet.
- Slang: Vulgar. douche bag(def 2).
- to apply a douche to.
- to use a douche or douches; undergo douching.
Origin of douche
Related Words for doucheshower, tub, dive, plunge, permeate, impregnate, suffuse, soak, wash, pervade, douse, infuse, penetrate, imbue, steep, immerse, drench, cleanse, rinse, expel
Examples from the Web for douche
Contemporary Examples of douche
Historical Examples of douche
The realization was like a douche of cold water, in spite of all he had seen and knew.The Law-Breakers
But in her words, to be sure, were a douche cold enough for Khalid.The Book of Khalid
I have built a douche, and am to go on through all the winter, frost or no frost.The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Volume I (of II)
WINE will be an extra charge; as are warm, vapor, and douche baths.Burlesques
William Makepeace Thackeray
And if there is any period when a woman needs a douche it is during menstruation.Woman
William J. Robinson
- a stream of water or air directed onto the body surface or into a body cavity, for cleansing or medical purposes
- the application of such a stream of water or air
- an instrument, such as a special syringe, for applying a douche
- to cleanse or treat or be cleansed or treated by means of a douche
Word Origin for douche
1766, "jet of water," from French douche (16c.), from Italian doccia "shower," from docciare "to spray," from Latin ductionem "a leading," from ducere "to lead" (see duke (n.)). Meaning "vaginal cleansing" is from 1833. The verb is first attested 1838. Related: Douched; douching.
- A stream of water, often containing medicinal or cleansing agents, that is applied to a body part or cavity for hygienic or therapeutic purposes.
- An instrument for applying a douche.
- To cleanse or treat by means of a douche.