- to transfer (software, data, character sets, etc.) from a distant to a nearby computer, from a larger to a smaller computer, or from a computer to a peripheral device.
- software, data, etc., that has been downloaded: the best free music downloads.
- the act or process of downloading.
Origin of download
Related Words for downloadsload, compute, program, run, digitize, computerize, initialize, input, keyboard
Examples from the Web for downloads
Contemporary Examples of downloads
“We spotted some downloads to get pulses racing,” according to the statistician at the Torrentfreak website.Vatican Vice: Sex, Drugs and Downloads Taint the Image of the Holy See
Barbie Latza Nadeau
March 26, 2014
So far the app has about 12,000 downloads in 89 countries worldwide.Tech Start-Ups Get Their Sexy On
February 24, 2014
Apple also saw more than 200 million downloads of its new operating system iOS 7.Apple’s New iPhones Met by Strong Demand
September 23, 2013
He downloads his favorite covers and searches online booksellers to locate the cheapest copies of the books.Pulp Fictions
September 10, 2009
E-book use on the iPhone exploded, with over a million downloads of the Stanza application alone.Don't Write Off Books
April 7, 2009
- to copy or transfer (data or a program) into the memory of one computer system from a larger one
- to broadcast specialist programmes, for such groups as doctors, outside normal broadcasting hours. They are often recorded on video tapes and viewed laterCompare upload
- esp Canadian to delegate or assign (work, responsibilities, costs, etc) to a someone at a lower level of an organization; off-load
- a file transferred onto a computer from another computer or the internet
- To transfer data or programs from a server or host computer to one's own computer or digital device. Compare upload.