- to transfer (software, data, character sets, etc.) from a smaller to a larger computer.
- software, data, etc., that has been uploaded.
- the act or process of uploading.
Origin of upload
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for upload
The detectives located and spoke to one person whom Brinsley had asked to help him upload something.Exclusive: Inside a Cop-Killer’s Final Hours
December 31, 2014
The Xbox One gives players the ability to upload clips of gameplay and record voiceover.My Xbox One Won’t Let Me Swear
December 8, 2013
Meet the newest ways to find a parking spot, make your kids do their chores, and upload beehive data.The 15 Hottest New Apps at Dublin’s Web Summit
October 31, 2013
Years passed and I decided to upload a medley of these ragtime rock songs on YouTube, and that gained some traction.Doo-Wop ‘We Can’t Stop’: Behind the Ridiculously Good Miley Cyrus Cover
September 11, 2013
In another, we upload our brains, convert them into software, and experience sublime adventures in virtual worlds.It’s the End of the World but We’ll Be Fine
May 18, 2013
- (tr) to copy or transfer (data or a program) from one's own computer into the memory of another computerCompare download (def. 1)
Word Origin and History for upload
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To transfer data or programs from one's own computer or digital device to a server or host computer. Compare download.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.