- any passerine bird of the family Dicruridae, of Africa, Asia, and Australia, the several species usually having black plumage and long, forked tails.
Origin of drongo1
- a stupid or slow-witted person; simpleton.
Origin of drongo2
Examples from the Web for drongo
Historical Examples of drongo
The drongo cuckoo is as like the king-crow as one pea is to another.
The drongo appears well adapted at Rota, where it prefers cultivated areas and the bombed village sites to thick woodlands.The Avifauna of Micronesia, Volume 3
Rollin H. Baker
The drongo builds earlier, for it is usually feeding its young while the oriole is incubating.
The drongo cuckoo (Surniculus lugubris) is a bird of which I know practically nothing.
My lack of knowledge of the habits of the drongo cuckoo is, however, not my chief reason for desiring to write about it.
- Also called: drongo shrike any insectivorous songbird of the family Dicruridae, of the Old World tropics, having a glossy black plumage, a forked tail, and a stout bill
- Australian and NZ slang a slow-witted person
- Australian informal a new recruit in the Royal Australian Air Force