FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of drop-dead
Words nearby drop-dead
Definition for drop dead (2 of 2)
- liquid medicine given in a dose or form of globules from a medicine dropper.
- a solution for dilating the pupils of the eyes, administered to the eyes in globules by a medicine dropper.
verb (used without object), dropped or dropt, drop·ping.
verb (used with object), dropped or dropt, drop·ping.
- to throw, shoot, hit, kick, or roll (a ball, puck, etc.) through or into a basket, hole, or other goal: He dropped the ball through the basket for two points.
- to lose (a game or contest): They dropped two games in a row and were eliminated from the tournament.
- to drop-kick (a ball).
- to score with a drop kick.
- to fall asleep.
- to decrease; decline: Sales have dropped off drastically.
- to withdraw from being a member or participant: to drop out of a club; to drop out of society and become a wanderer.
- to stop attending school or college.
Origin of drop
OTHER WORDS FROM dropdrop·like, adjectiveun·dropped, adjective
British Dictionary definitions for drop dead (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for drop dead (2 of 2)
verb drops, dropping or dropped
Word Origin for drop
Medical definitions for drop dead
Idioms and Phrases with drop dead (1 of 2)
An expression of anger, rejection, or indignation toward someone. For example, I should do all that work for you? Drop dead! This rude imperative is usually hyperbolic, that is, the speaker is not literally asking someone to die on the spot. [c. 1930] Curiously, the adjective (and adverb) drop-dead is not at all insulting. Rather, it means “dazzling” or “awe-inspiring,” as in She wore a drop-dead outfit that all the other women admired. This usage originated in slangy journalism in the 1960s.
Idioms and Phrases with drop dead (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with drop
- drop a bombshell
- drop a brick
- drop a dime
- drop a line
- drop back
- drop behind
- drop by
- drop dead
- drop in one's tracks
- drop in someone's lap
- drop in the bucket
- drop like a hot potato
- drop like flies
- drop names
- drop off
- drop out
- drop the ball
- at the drop of a hat
- bottom drops out of
- get the drop on
- hear a pin drop
- let drop
- wait for the other shoe to drop