- a brand of sweet, red or white, aromatized wine, used chiefly as an apéritif.
- (lowercase) a deep purple-red color.
- (lowercase) of the color dubonnet.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for dubonnet
Historical Examples of dubonnet
Her father listened to her, sipping his Dubonnet with an air of intense satisfaction.Rough-Hewn
- a dark purplish-red colour
- (as adjective)a dubonnet coat
Word Origin for dubonnet
- trademark a sweet usually red apéritif wine flavoured with quinine and cinchona
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
sweet French aperitif, 1913, trademark name, from the name of a family of French wine merchants.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper