- a brand of sweet, red or white, aromatized wine, used chiefly as an apéritif.
- (lowercase) a deep purple-red color.
- (lowercase) of the color dubonnet.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for dubonnet
Her father listened to her, sipping his Dubonnet with an air of intense satisfaction.Rough-Hewn
- a dark purplish-red colour
- (as adjective)a dubonnet coat
- trademark a sweet usually red apéritif wine flavoured with quinine and cinchona
Word Origin and History for dubonnet
sweet French aperitif, 1913, trademark name, from the name of a family of French wine merchants.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper