- a small elevator, manually or electrically operated, consisting typically of a box with shelves, used in apartment houses, restaurants, and large private dwellings for moving dishes, food, garbage, etc., between floors.
- an auxiliary serving table.
- a serving stand with tiers of revolving shelves.
- a serving cart.
Origin of dumbwaiter
Examples from the Web for dumbwaiter
Contemporary Examples of dumbwaiter
The morning after a wild night, Stone whips up some eggs and English muffins and sends them upstairs in a dumbwaiter to Carrie.Do I Have to Read Kisser?
February 13, 2010
Historical Examples of dumbwaiter
Open the little door to the dumbwaiter in the pantry and find supplies.A Woman for Mayor
Helen M. Winslow
"I told you we have taken nothing from the dumbwaiter," impatiently.Mary Rose of Mifflin
Frances R. Sterrett
For it opened upon what seemed to be just a dumbwaiter shaft.The Bradys' Chinese Clew
Francis Worcester Doughty
Out with the other refuse of the day, sir—on the dumbwaiter.In And Out
A dumbwaiter is like a little elevator, except that, as a rule, no one rides in it.Six Little Bunkers at Aunt Jo's
Laura Lee Hope
- a stand placed near a dining table to hold food
- a revolving circular tray placed on a table to hold foodUS and Canadian name: lazy Susan
- a lift for carrying food, rubbish, etc, between floors