- a person who rises at an early hour.
- a person who arrives before others, as for the purpose of gaining some advantage: The early birds got the best seats for the play.
- (initial capital letters) Aerospace. the first of the Intelsat series of communications satellites, orbited (1965) by Intelsat.
Origin of early bird
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for early bird
Hobbs dogged them at a safe distance while they sallied forth and in a neighboring street discovered an early-bird bakery.The Black Bag
Louis Joseph Vance
- informal a person who rises early or arrives in good time
- one of a number of communications satellites, the first of which was launched in 1965 into a stationary orbit and provided telephone channels between Europe and the USSee also Intelsat