- of the nature of or consisting of earth or soil.
- characteristic of earth: an earthy smell.
- realistic; practical.
- coarse or unrefined: an earthy sense of humor.
- direct; robust; unaffected: an earthy, generous woman.
- (of a mineral) having a dull luster and rough to the touch.
- Archaic. worldly; pertaining to the earth.
Origin of earthy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for earthy on Thesaurus.com
4. lusty, rough.
4. genteel, refined.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for earthy
These sexual, earthy, animal-human deities really were opposed to everything the early Christians venerated as holy.Meet Krampus, the Seriously Bad Santa
December 5, 2014
The colors were earthy and neutral, and the cuts were impeccably tailored.Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, & Calvin Klein New York Fashion Week
February 14, 2014
To stay awake Miles was eating Twizzlers, and Shailene, as usual, was drinking an earthy tea.Exclusive: A Photo Essay on the Making of ‘The Spectacular Now’
Michael H. Weber, Scott Neustadter
August 8, 2013
Romney is like the sheriff of Nottingham: all castle, no conviction; which makes Newt Gingrich the earthy Friar Tuck.Romney and Gingrich Set the GOP on a Path Toward Self-Destruction
January 30, 2012
The earthy smell of fresh grass fills the air in late afternoon.Inside the Gaddafis' Lair
August 25, 2011
My anger and disgust at his gross earthy egoism had vanished.Green Mansions
W. H. Hudson
He was, however, an individual of earthy hue, with precocious wrinkles.Criminal Man
The appearance of these two girls in this earthy family was anomalous.
All about the air swam with pleasant, heated, drowsy, earthy odors.
It had an earthy, insipid taste, and is described as "unctuous."The Book of the Damned
- of, composed of, or characteristic of earth
- robust, lusty, or uninhibited
- unrefined, coarse, or crude
- an archaic word for worldly (def. 1)
- electrical engineering on the earthed side of an electrical circuit, but not necessarily with a direct current connection to earth
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for earthy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper