- the parts of Asia collectively lying east of Europe and including Asia Minor, Syria, Arabia, India, China, etc.; the Orient.
- the Far East.
- (formerly) the Soviet Union and its allies.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Allegheny Mountains.
- New England.
- Ancient and Medieval History. the Eastern Roman Empire.
VIDEO FOR EAST
WATCH NOW: Is There A Difference Between East Coast And West Coast Slang?
Is there a difference between east coast slang and west coast slang? The short answer: yes. Take a look.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of east
OTHER WORDS FROM easteastness, noun
Words nearby east
Definition for east (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for east
“Please, please do not permit this to happen here in Florida,” wrote Cris K. Smith of East Polk County.
Eventually, DeCrow and Seidenberg filed suit against the East Village mainstay.
That goodness steered him clear of the Sex Boys, the Crazy Homicides, the Sons of Nuns, and the other gangs of East New York.
Other communist countries that withdrew their films and delegates included East Germany, Cuba, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia.When Countries Lose Their Shit Over American Movies|Asawin Suebsaeng|December 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Hazard gang is a multi-generational gang based in the East Los Angeles area.The Mexican Mafia Is the Daddy of All Street Gangs|Seth Ferranti|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Fired with ambition by these successes, he pressed boldly onward to reduce the cities and lands of the east.The History of Antiquity, Vol. I (of VI)|Max Duncker
They come over to the East Coast in hordes in the autumn, mostly from Russia, where they also interbreed with the carrion crow.Through East Anglia in a Motor Car|J. E. (James Edmund) Vincent
The country for five to ten miles to the east of our track appeared open and grassy, basalt being the prevailing rock.Journals of Australian Explorations|A C and F T Gregory
This was the gate discovered by Bliss a little to the east of the old fortress on Maudsleys scarp.Archology and the Bible|George A. Barton
The Triforium is unusually fine, and now extends over the north and south choir aisles, but not over the east end.The Cathedrals of Great Britain|P. H. Ditchfield
British Dictionary definitions for east (1 of 2)
Word Origin for east
British Dictionary definitions for east (2 of 2)
noun the East
- the area north of the Ohio and east of the Mississippi
- the area north of Maryland and east of the Alleghenies
- of or denoting the eastern part of a specified country, area, etc
- (as part of a name)East Sussex